Adds an Ethernet interface to a CAEN, CAEN-MLO, or CAENIB automation enclosure. Maximizes Cresnet® network reliability and performance with comprehensive diagnostics, logging, and reporting 0f Cresnet activity and errors. Enables powering of Cresnet devices using PoE+.
The Ethernet to Cresnet Bridge (CAEN-BLOCK-CENCN-2-POE) mounts at the bottom of a CAEN, CAEN-MLO, or CAENIB enclosure to provide a high-speed Ethernet interface between the enclosure and one or more outboard control systems. It includes Cresnet and Override connectivity for the CLX series lighting control modules within the enclosure, and adds a separate isolated Cresnet subnet for outboard Cresnet keypads, thermostats, sensors, and other Cresnet devices. It also allows those Cresnet devices to be powered using a PoE, PoE+, or 24VDC power source.
The Ethernet to Cresnet Bridge works with any Crestron 3-Series Control System® to maximize the reliability and robustness of the Cresnet network. It provides a more sophisticated solution than a Cresnet block or hub. In addition to enabling the distribution of Cresnet data over Ethernet, it also provides two isolated Cresnet subnets, one for lighting modules and one for all other Cresnet devices. Each subnet features sophisticated diagnostics and fault protection to maximize reliability and ease troubleshooting.
NOTE: The CAEN-BLOCK-CENCN-2-POE is compatible with Crestron 3-Series® control systems only.
The Cresnet® Bus
- Cresnet is the communications backbone for many Crestron keypads, lighting controls, shade motors, thermostats, sensors, and other devices that don’t require the higher speed of Ethernet. It provides a dependable and flexible wiring solution, allowing multiple devices to be wired together in parallel using both home-run and daisy-chain topologies. The Cresnet bus distributes bidirectional data communication and 24VDC power to each device over a single 4-conductor cable.
Ethernet to Cresnet Bridge
- For any Crestron lighting system having multiple CAEN enclosures, Ethernet offers an ideal, standards-based solution for networking them all together with a control system. The increased bandwidth afforded by Ethernet reduces latency for overall improved speed and performance. And, by leveraging existing LAN infrastructure in a home or other facility, wiring distances can be extended easily while potentially reducing the overall wiring requirements. Multiple Ethernet to Cresnet Bridges can be deployed on a single control system, and they can even be addressed by more than one control system, affording incredible flexibility in system design and functionality.
Dual Cresnet Subnets
- The CAEN-BLOCK-CENCN-2-POE provides two isolated subnets, one for lighting modules (NET A) and one for all other Cresnet devices (NET B). Each subnet behaves as a Cresnet master with its own unique address space. A maximum of 20 Cresnet devices is supported per subnet. NET B furnishes four Cresnet connectors for the termination of Cresnet wiring.
Cresnet Power Distribution
- The CAEN-BLOCK-CENCN-2-POE provides for the distribution of Cresnet power using either PoE or 24VDC as the power source. Ten Watts total Cresnet power is available using PoE, which can be increased to 20 Watts using PoE+. Adding an external 24VDC Cresnet power supply enables up to 75 Watts Cresnet power, and also allows the CAEN-BLOCK-CENCN-2-POE to operate without any PoE.
- The CAEN-BLOCK-CENCN-2-POE configures itself automatically based on the power source(s) connected. Built-in protection intelligently monitors the load and wiring conditions on each subnet, and shuts down power to either subnet in case of an overload, wiring fault, or power supply failure. If such an error occurs, only the subnet with the error is shut down, leaving the other subnet fully operable.
- Many lighting control system problems are caused by wiring faults, insufficient power, or too many devices. The latter is resolved by increasing bandwidth using Ethernet and limiting the number of devices that can be connected to each subnet. For the other issues, the CAEN-BLOCK-CENCN-2-POE provides a full set of diagnostic tools to help identify and resolve them easily.
- From the unit’s front panel, an installer can press the “TEST” button and observe the LED indicators to see if there are any error codes. This allows wiring problems to be identified before ever powering up the control system. More complete details can be viewed and analyzed using a web browser or Crestron Toolbox™ software.
- In a functioning system, sporadically occurring errors caused by cut or faulty wires, disconnected devices, or failed power supplies can be reported to the control system in real-time to provide error notifications via a touch screen, mobile device, email, or text message. For commercial enterprise applications, SNMP and Crestron Fusion® Cloud applications are also supported. Insertion of an SD memory card (not included) enables logging of Cresnet activity and errors over time, making it easier to diagnose intermittent issues that can’t be duplicated on demand.
Power over Ethernet
- Using PoE+ technology, the CAEN-BLOCK-CENCN-2-POE gets its operating power through the LAN wiring from a PoE or PoE+ power source (Crestron PWE-4803RU, CEN-SW-POE-5, or CEN-SWPOE-16 sold separately). Alternately, the unit can be powered by 24VDC Cresnet power. Refer to the “Power” section of the specifications for more details.
- The CAEN-BLOCK-CENCN-2-POE is designed to mount inside a CAEN, CAEN-MLO, or CAENIB enclosure, positioned at the bottom below the lighting control modules. Front facing connectors and controls afford optimal visibility and serviceability to facilitate installation and troubleshooting.
- Adds an Ethernet interface to a CAEN, CAEN-MLO, or CAENIB automation enclosure
- Maximizes Cresnet® network reliability and performance
- Designed for use with any Crestron® 3-Series Control System®
- Enables Cresnet data communications over high-speed Ethernet
- Provides two isolated Cresnet subnets, one for lighting control modules and one for outboard devices
- Includes override signal connectivity for CLX series lighting control modules
- Supports 20 Cresnet devices per subnet
- Supports 3000 feet (914 m) aggregate cable length per subnet
- Powerable via PoE, PoE+, or Cresnet
- Includes intelligent power management for each subnet
- Features built-in network diagnostics tools
- Allows testing of network wiring, power, and communications
- Allows detailed error analysis via software or web browser
- Allows real-time reporting of errors via the control system
- Allows logging of Cresnet activity and errors over time